How To Report Fraud

  • I am victim of fraud. What should I do?
    You should report the incident to the Police Department in the town which you reside. If you reside in Watchung, regardless of where the fraud occurred, you may respond to the Watchung Police Headquarters and file a report. 
  • What documents are required for a police report?
    Any paperwork, e-mails, bank records, statements, invoices, or transaction logs, and any recordings related to the fraud will be required for the report. 
  • Can I make my report online or over the phone?
    The report is typically made in person so the Officer handling the investigation can validate the incident. 
  • What if I do not live in Watchung?
    Certain exceptions may apply. Please contact the Watchung Police Department by dialing 908-756-3663 and speak with a Police Dispatcher. 
  • Should I notify any other agencies?
    Yes, you should file additional reports with the Police Departments where the fraud occurred. The Watchung Police Department is unable to investigate crimes in other jurisdictions. 
  • Is there anything else I should do?
    Yes, you should monitor your credit for any fraudulent suspicious activity. This can include notifying your respective banks and performing a lock or account freeze through the credit bureaus. Additionally, you should file a report through the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3). If filing a report, please have a record of the IC3 complaint.